Welcome to the Business English Refresher B1 course
Dates and times
We meet on Tuesdays except in local school holidays between 18:00 to 19:30 in Room 2 of the VHS Oelde-Ennigerloh in the central building at Herrenstrasse 7, Oelde.
Please NOTE that the Easter Holidays will be different as I am attending a conference in Manchester at the weekend after Easter and arrive back in Germany on the evening of Tuesday 14 April 2015. But I will flag the alterations nearer the time.
I normally arrive a little earlier and so if you want to talk to me before the lesson I am usually there from 17:45 depending on the trains.
Our textbook is A New Start Professional Refresher B1 and this semester we are starting on Unit 3 (page 26 onward)
The book comes with a phrasebook (it does not have all the vocabulary in the units) with some extra guidance on writing etc. and a CD to listen to some of the Self-Study parts of the book. I have the CDs for the class parts which you will hear in class.
I set homework but it is always optional but I believe that you benefit from doing extra work outside class. The self-study parts of the book have the answers in the back of the book and when that work is set as homework I recommend that you check your answers yourself.
There are three outcomes from checking your answers:
1. You get it correct – this is good for you to know but it means I don’t need to teach you anything.
2. You get it wrong but you realise your mistake when you see the answer – this is personal learning point for you and you have done the learning already.
3. You get it wrong and you have no idea why it is wrong – that is the sort of thing the class needs to know about.
- if you are making a mistake then it is likely that some of your classmates are also making the same mistake so we can learn about it together in class.
- There is no such thing as a stupid question
I look forward to teaching and working with you this semester.